Over ten million Americans suffer from Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMD).
Symptoms of this disorder include:
- Pain when the jaw is open.
- Limited opening of the jaw.
- Clenching and/or grinding of the teeth.
- Facial pain.
- Ear pain.
- Locking of the Jaw.
- Muscle tenderness and pain.
- Ringing in the ears.
- Frequent headaches.
The Temporomandibular joints are complex and contain both hard and soft tissues. Because of this, Dr. Camfield may utilize some of the following tools to help in properly diagnosing a patient’s problem:
- Detailed Patient History
- X-ray, MRI, CT scan evaluation
- Mounted bite records
- Referral to a specialist
For a more detailed overview of TMD click here
After proper diagnosis, Dr. Camfield may utilize some of the following treatment options:
- Occlusal appliance (night guard)
- Occlusal correction (Orthodontics/equilibration)
- Referral for microsurgery